Our School App Stay connected on the go...
In the academic Year 2017/18, Year 11 and Year 13 will continue to study the AQA Media Studies specifications. Year 10 and Year 12 will study the new Media Studies GCSEs (graded 1-9) on the Eduqas Media Studies specifications. Below is an overview of the curriculum for each year group and links to the relevant specifications for further information.
Key Stage 4
Year 10 2017/18
Eduqas GCSE Media Studies
Students will begin Year 10 with an introduction to the key terms and concepts that underpin all assessments throughout the course. The four key concepts of Media Language, Audiences, Representations and Media Industries shall be discussed by analysing a variety of media forms including television, advertising, radio, magazines and music videos. From January 2018 students will continue to develop their understanding of media texts by planning and creating various media products in preparation for component 3 (30% of the GCSE). Eduqas will release set production briefs for component 3 on March 1st and students will be required to engage with the brief by considering the key concepts as well as interacting with the brief with creativity and flair. Students will refocus in the final summer half term on the exam structure for components 1 and 2 in preparation for their Year 11 Studies.
Year 11 2017/18
AQA GCSE Media Studies
Students will finalise their Unit 1 controlled assessments. Assignments 1 and 2 were due for completion at the end of Year 10 and they will complete their Assignment 3 research, planning, production and evaluation. Unit 1 accounts for 60% of their GCSE. From January 2018, students will begin preparations for the Unit 2 exam. The topic for this year’s exam is Serial TV Drama, so students will continue to develop knowledge and understanding of the media key concepts and explore this television genre by researching and analysing a set of case studies. Fours weeks prior to the exam, AQA will provide an exam pre-release brief with further information that will allow students to start prepare further for the exam. Students will be provided with revision booklets to support their preparation for this exam alongside their class and independent notes.
Key Stage 5
Year 12 2017/18
Eduqas A Level Media Studies
Students undertaking AS Media Studies provided by Educas will be required to complete 3 components of assessment. Components 1 and 2 will be assessed as summer examinations while component 3 will be a controlled piece of Media Production; previous study of Media is not essential as key concepts and theorists will be discussed during the first half term. Following the opening term students will be focusing on the assessments components below simultaneously.
- Component 1 (Investigating the Media) : Throughout this component student's will be introduced to the key concepts of Media Studies including Representation, Media Language and Audiences. The component (35% of the AS Level) will seek for students to engage and discuss with anticipated audience interpretation while using terminology and theoretical discussion to underpin their investigations.
- Component 2 (Investigating Media Forms and Products) : For Component 2 (35% of the AS Level) students will focus on three distinct media forms with set texts/products being supplied by Educas. Learners will also be expected to draw upon the key concepts discussed during component 1 to support and contextualise their studies of media forms.
- Component 3 (Media Production) : Students will be required to respond to a set of briefs that are supplied by Educas from September 1st. Students will be expected to engage with key concepts and theorists while also demonstrating creativity and flair in relation to the set task. The media production will account for 30% of the AS Level.
Year 13 2017/18
AQA A Level Media Studies
- MEST 4: Research and Production. Students will complete their 200 word critical investigation, which is based on a chosen media topic. This will investigate this issue with a focus on the four media key concepts and an exploration of primary and secondary research texts. Students will also plan and produce a media product which is reflective of their research findings. This unit accounts for 50% of A2 Level, and 25% of overall A-Level.
- MEST 3: Exam in the summer term. Section A focuses on unseen media texts and students will analyse and respond to the unseen texts with reference to the key concepts as well as wider social and audience issues. In preparation for section B of the exam, students will develop an independent case study focusing on Identity in the Media. This case study will then inform their response to an extended essay in response to one question in section B. This unit accounts for 50% of A2 Level, and 25% of overall A-Level.
- Curriculum Overview
- Key Stage 3
Day 2 of @SF_TrainingUK central training event in Stevenage. All @StreetlyAcademy Primary Network Apprentices reported bright and early and raring to go! @WalsallCouncil #EndlessOpportunities https://t.co/sFdEcrKJWS
Members of the Year 11 Pupil Leadership Team run Year 7 Support Club every Thursday lunchtime. Activities include games, helping with homework and advice and support #volunteering #dedication #peersupport @StreetlyAcademy @StreetlyYr7 https://t.co/ROoZotrQ3q
We have the #bcschoolgames Level 3 #Boccia results: Event 1 Pan Competition 1st @StreetlyAcademy 2nd @UplandsManor 3rd @Windsor_Tweets Event 2 Physical Disability 1st @UplandsManor 2nd @StreetlyAcademy 3rd @Beacon4sport Well done to everyone involved! @BocciaEngland
Happy birthday Mr Boyes!! 🎈🎉 https://t.co/5XiFTVjFKb
And the winner is “Pride Pyramid” which was suggested but both 7CH1 and 7NI1! Well done to all forms and thank you for your suggestions!
ADVERT - NETBALL COACH The Streetly Sports and Community Association is looking for a paid position for 2 hours a week, Thurs 7-9pm to teach netball to Juniors/Seniors starting 18th Jan 18. Must hold DBS Contact the office on 0121 353 8630 - Monday – Friday between 9am – 5pm.
Congratulations to 8SH2 - they are the first form to get a line of stars on Quin-Go. Hope they enjoy their ice cream to celebrate 🍦 💫 https://t.co/xyhyRQp9Ps
Congratulations to 8NI1 - they have now won back to back inter form challenges. They got to enjoy an ice cream party during plenary today. What a day for Mr Roberts not to be around! 😂 https://t.co/yJNHvuxpZ9
11N4 carrying out the scribble technique to learn the stages of blood clot formation.… https://t.co/A1idHKVlDJ
Our Pupil Leadership Team! Looking forward to working with them over the next year! https://t.co/PKcaQSQv9e
All our FOOTBALL DEVELOPMENT COURSES start this week ⚽️😊 Skills Centres, PDC's, Soccer Schools and more.... For dates, times and venues visit our booking page https://t.co/Z9EZbWjXTc @AVFCOfficial @StreetlyAcademy @Rawlett @bcsbirmingham https://t.co/awRcO2X0y0
At around 3.30pm we will be posting our 3 favourite names for the form competition. The winner will be the one that has the most likes by Monday at 8.30am! 20 bonus points for the form that wins! https://t.co/oyEc3wbp4g
If you want to choose ‘Pride Peak’ as the competition name, please like this tweet! https://t.co/n25eAD21Xj
If you want to choose ‘Pride Pyramid’ as the competition name, please like this tweet! https://t.co/LmPT9MCqd9
If you want to choose ‘Power Tower’ as the competition name, please like this tweet! https://t.co/m8BO9Pby8o
Today’s Yr8 inter form challenge! Happy 30th Birthday to Sgt....sorry Miss Adkins 🎂 https://t.co/1Afy2EBL72
Well done to 8SH2 - they delivered their own form assembly on bullying and in turn earned themselves their 3rd Quin-Go star 🌟 https://t.co/PmaNVLvgAR
The Year 8 Table Tennis tournament starts again next Friday. We had over 50 pupils participate last year, we want more this year!! The kids have also requested a Downie vs Harris match!! 🏓 https://t.co/bfNk8uEeXG
Be good for the city. I remember interviewing him at my school when I was about 15, he also attended Streetly. https://t.co/PpJv9pjaTJ
Happy New Year to all Year 7s! This is our form competition for the next term. Most points wins and forms can earn points every week. 20 bonus points uo for grabs for the form group that chooses the name of it! https://t.co/C4cc9teMLa
Year 7 all ready for the beginning of the Christmas assembly!! https://t.co/GiS82mCukx
Here it is! The 2017 Streetly Academy Christmas Video. Have a great Christmas from all at Streetly. https://t.co/ChdfvxIIEn
Congratulations to Caitlin and George for winning 100% Attendance Prizes of itune vouchers and cinema tickets! 😊 Here they are with Deputy Head teacher Mr Harris. @StreetlyAcademy https://t.co/b6lehBXFGj
Teacher of Geography | The Streetly Academy | https://t.co/IEMNroVfWh
Teacher of English | The Streetly Academy | https://t.co/yA0wI5NkLm
Teacher of Modern Foreign Languages | The Streetly Academy https://t.co/4ruHrRcW2d
COMING SOON - Football Development Courses @StreetlyAcademy in Sutton Coldfield. Saturday morning Skills Centre, evening Player Development Centre and February half term Soccer School #2018 ⚽️ More details and pre booking at https://t.co/Z9EZbWjXTc @AVFCOfficial https://t.co/E0WgKQtn2u
6th From modelling of sand dune characteristics and formation with PlayDoh. Never too old to play with PlayDoh 😎 https://t.co/xViZYpFuAC
Mr Harris’ wonderful year 8s teaching a lesson to year 7. Year 8 you should be very proud of… https://t.co/MHnFZzbktF
GCSE Results 2017
Summer Blockbusters - The 2017 Staff Video
Year 12 Student joins TeamUK for the International Geography Olym...