Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Year 7 Chromebooks September 2022
Scopay accounts for payment will be issued on or around Transition Day.
The online payment portal will be open until 30th July 2022, pay by this time to receive the Chromebook in early September. The portal will remain open after this date, but we cannot guarantee issuing the Chromebook in early September if payment is received after 30th July 2022. Please note that Chromebooks are only available to purchase for new year 7 Students before they join Streetly Academy, and at the very beginning of the academic year.
Option 1 - Parents/Guardians Purchase a Asus C204MA Chromebook*
With this option you are purchasing the Chromebook and the price will include a contribution from the school. The Chromebook will be subject to the same monitoring system (currently Smoothwall Monitor) as school owned deposit devices. The Chromebook will be the property of the student. This can be ordered online through SCOPAY using a credit/debit card.
* Chromebook model may be subject to change
35 months manufacturer's warranty - see FAQ for more details.
24 month Accidental damage cover (£25 excess per claim, max 3 claims).
- 1x MAX Explorer Bag 2.0 (or similar) required for insurance, if the case is lost then a replacement will be chargeable. The case is part of the package this year (2022) and does not need to be returned once the student has completed their studies at The Streetly Academy.
Option 2 - Loan a School Chromebook for £50 deposit
This option allows students to loan a Chromebook for the length of time they attend The Streetly Academy, which they will use during the day and take home after school. The £50 deposit is used to cover the cost of any damage to the device or accessories, and will be returned, less any reductions for repairs, once the Chromebook, charger and case (if provided) are handed in at the end of the loan period - provided the equipment is in satisfactory condition. For this option, the school remains the owner of the Chromebook and there is no choice of Chromebook make or model. The Chromebook will likely have been used previously by other students, and can be changed at the school’s discretion at any time for a different Chromebook make or model. The Chromebook must be kept in its school provided case (if provided). A charge will be payable to replace a lost case or accessory. Any damage to the device will reduce the deposit e.g. keys being removed, this includes intentional or unintentional damage. In the event of the device being damaged beyond repair the deposit may be completely lost, and another £50 deposit may be requested for a replacement deposit Chromebook.
Option 3 - Own Chromebook Device
You can purchase your own Chromebook and bring it to school, we cannot offer any repairs for these devices but may be able to offer support in a limited capacity.
*The 24 months accidental damage insurance has a maximum of 3 claims with £25 excess per claim. Chromebook must be kept in an approved case for insurance to be valid, insurance repair may void the warranty on the device.
** Dependant on case availability
- Cover includes Accidental Damage, Theft, Flood Damage, Fire Damage
- Worldwide cover up to 90 days in a 12 month period
- Automatic reinstatement after a successful claim
- Loss is NOT covered (this includes devices that go missing from an unlocked/unattended classroom)
- Accessories such as cases, power cables, stylus, external keyboards etc are not covered
- Student claims limit: 2 successful claims within any 12 month period, 3 successful claims over the duration of the scheme (if the device is being used as a 1:1 device) - dependent on length of cover.
- School are insurance policy holder, students and staff are ‘authorised users’
- Device must be kept in the case provided at all times (Streetly Academy will loan you a case).
- £10,000 single claim limit.
It is strongly advised that you read the full Terms and Conditions of the insurance policy before purchasing this option.
Option 1 £199 Purchase Chromebook Insurance - what's not covered by the policy?
(Repairs under the insurance can be refused if the Chromebook is damaged for any of the reasons below) - this list is subject to change
1. Any Accidental Damage, Liquid Damage and Malicious Damage to Your Equipment if the Equipment cannot be provided to Us for repair or inspection.
2. Accidental Damage, Liquid Damage and Malicious Damage to Your Equipment that is not suitably stored or packed whilst in transit or being carried. Suitably stored or packed can include, but is not limited to, keeping Your Equipment in a Protective Case and ensuring it is not packed or stored loosely in a vehicle or overhead locker.
3. Accidental Damage to Your Tablet not in a Protective Case;
4. Accidental Damage to Your Laptop not in a Protective Case when not in use;
5. Accidental Damage, Liquid Damage or Malicious Damage to Your Equipment whilst on hire or loan to anyone who is not an Authorised User unless agreed in writing, in advance by Us;
6. Wear and tear, gradual deterioration or rust;
7. Gradually developing defects, cracks, flaws or fractures;
8. Cosmetic Damage;
9. Scratching or chipping of painted or polished surfaces;
10. Accidental Damage or Liquid Damage to Your Equipment through the deliberate or willful act of an Authorised User that they inflict on Equipment allocated to them;
11. Accidental Damage, Liquid Damage caused by use of the Equipment by any Authorised User for anything other than its intended purpose.
12. Accidental Damage or Liquid Damage where the device has been left on the floor unattended.
13. Accidental Damage, Liquid Damage or Malicious Damage to any Equipment left on any motor vehicle.
The most likely reasons we see for the insurance company refusing to repair the Chromebook, is when it's not being kept in its case or has been left unattended or on the floor and has broken. If the insurance is refused for one of the reasons above then a chargeable repair may be necessary to fix the device.
All Chromebooks are locked to only login as @thestreetlyacademy.co.uk email accounts, why is that?
In order to fully enforce safeguarding and filtering tools, it is necessary to lock the Chromebook to only the Streetly Academy accounts whilst the student is studying at Streetly.
What happens if I buy a £199 Chromebook and then my Son/Daughter doesn’t become a Streetly Academy Student?
As the School subsides the Chromebook you may be asked to pay the difference between the sale price and the amount the School has subsidised it for.
Can I pay in instalments for a £199 Chromebook?
Unfortunately there is currently no option to pay in instalments.
If I pay £50 for a deposit Chromebook, can I buy the Chromebook in the future?
Unfortunately we do not offer the option to purchase deposit Chromebooks.
Whats are the Specs for the Asus C204MA-GJ0208-3Y (may be subject to change)
Intel Celeron N4000 / 1.1GHz Max Turbo Speed 2.6 GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, 11.6" HD Display (1366 x 768) Resolution, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Chrome OS.
What happens if the Chromebook is accidentally damaged?
For an Option 1 purchase of a Chromebook, these can be taken into the IT Support Department who will contact the insurance company on your behalf, the device will be sent away to be repaired. The chromebook will only be covered by insurance/warranty for a set period of time, any repairs must be conducted under these policies and we are unable to repair the Chromebook in-house during or after this period.
For Option 2 £50 deposit Chromebooks these devices are owned by the school, and may be sent off for repair or repaired in house. If a student who has paid a £50 deposit damages the Chromebook, then the repair cost will be deducted from the deposit and only what remains will be returned at the end of the loan.
What happens if the Chromebook, case or charger is lost or stolen?
If a Chromebook is lost or stolen, it is important that it is reported to the IT Support team immediately. The Chromebook will be remotely disabled, which renders it unusable and unfit for resale. Complete loss of a £50 deposit chromebook will mean loss of all deposit money, and needing to pay another deposit to re-enter the deposit chromebook scheme. Some deposit money will be lost if a student loses a Chromebook charger or case, payment will be required if the student owns the Chromebook for a replacement charger or case.
Why is the warranty not 36 months for purchased £199 Chromebook?
The warranty period included with the Chromebook is 36 months. However the time taken to setup the Chromebooks before handout means a small amount of the warranty time is already used up.
Can accidental damage repairs void the purchased £199 Chromebook warranty?
It may, this is due to repairs not being undertaken by the manufacturer but the repair company which are different.
What happens if I purchase a Chromebook and don't return the Case?
We reserve the right to lock the Chromebook until the case (which is School property) is returned.
My purchased Chromebook has developed a fault within the first 35 months, do I automatically get a new one as a replacement?
A fault within the first 28 days of purchase may result in a new replacement being issued at the discretion of the manufacturer/supplier. Beyond this time the Chromebook would normally be repaired rather than replaced, as long as the fault is within the warranty agreement terms and conditions.
Where is the difference between warranty and insurance?
The warranty only covers defects such as a fault that existed when it was manufactured or develops within the warranty period. It does not cover accidental damage e.g. a smashed screen, this would be the accidental damage insurance - as longs as it occurred within the terms and conditions of the policy e.g. whilst the chromebook was in its case.
Where can I find the full Insurance Terms & Conditions?
These should be available on the Streetly Academy Website, or can be requested if necessary from the IT Support department.
When will students use the Chromebook?
Students will be expected to bring a fully charged Chromebook at the start of the day, and bring it to every lesson, just like they bring a pen and books. The Chromebook can last up to 10 hours between charges depending on screen brightness and usage - students will not be able to charge the Chromebook in school and cannot loan a charger from IT support.
Can I connect the Chromebook to the internet at my house?
Chromebooks use Wifi to connect the internet, so you will need broadband with WiFi at home to use the Chromebook on the Internet or tether it to your mobile phone/4G dongle if this is within your data plan. If you have WiFi, your network security key needs be added to the Chromebook.
How will the Chromebook be backed up?
Work is stored in Google drive and our students have unlimited storage space.
What happens when I leave The Streetly Academy?
If you have a purchased option 1 Chromebook you keep the device, please let the IT department know so the management of the Chromebook can be removed (called deprovisioning). For the £50 deposit, the Chromebook must be returned to the school along with its accessories, failure to do so will result in the device being locked and the deposit being lost. Non return of a deposit Chromebook when a student leaves streetly Academy and doesn't return the device, may result in an invoice for the cost of a replacement being charged to parent/guardians.
What about filtering/internet safety?
The Streetly Academy takes the online safety of your child seriously. Within school access on any wired or wireless device is filtered through Smoothwall, that blocks potentially harmful content and websites. Outside of school where internet connections may not be filtered, Chromebooks that are managed by Streetly Academy will continue to run filtering/monitoring software called Smoothwall Monitor. This software works in two ways, by filtering inappropriate content and by looking at the behaviour of what is being searched or viewed online. If it is deemed the search or websites being accessed could be a risk to the child e.g. explicit content or concerning behaviour/conduct. Then safeguarding team members will be alerted and if necessary they will respond to the incident. Smoothwall monitor operates 24 hours a day human moderated analysis of activity on the Chromebooks.
My child is entitled to Free School Meals, do I get any discount if I choose to buy a £199 Chromebook?
You can purchase a Chromebook but there will be no discount, which means the full price of £199 will need to be paid.
Is there a Responsible Use Policy?
Yes, please see below.
Responsible Use Policy
For students using the academy’s IT infrastructure and / or equipment or their own equipment on the academy’s site
The academy provides IT hardware and infrastructure for appropriate use by students to support their school activities. The academy expects all users of its system to practice appropriate and safe behaviour when online. By using the academy’s hardware / infrastructure you agree to the following terms.
By any use of IT (personal or school-provided) within the school site you…
- Agree to use personal devices only in the designated social / external areas and at designated times.
- Agree to use personal devices for lawful purposes only.
- Agree to never take photos, audio or video of another person without their explicit permission.
- Agree to report any instances of cyberbullying, misuse of equipment to your Head of Year.
- Agree to never plug in personal charging equipment into the academy’s electrical supply.
- Agree to never attempt to bypass any network security systems on site.
- Agree to common password security standards:
- Maintaining a strong password
- Not sharing your password with others
- Using unique passwords for different sites / systems you use
Use of the BYOD WiFi network
- By accessing the BYOD network you…
- Understand that access to this network is via the academy’s filtering systems.
- Understand that this network is provided by the academy as an additional, free service and carries no guarantee of availability or security.
- Agree to only use the network for reasonable and lawful purposes such as school based research, work, communications, etc.
- Agree to only use the network’s bandwidth in a reasonable way and “fair use” manner by; for example, not uploading/ downloading large files.
- Agree to ensure any personal device connected to the BYOD network is secured and protected appropriately from malware, viruses, trojans etc. (Chromebooks have build in security for this)
- Agree to not bypass filtering or other control measures.
- Agree to not knowingly download malware or other software with the intention of bypassing security systems, or visit “cracking” or proxy sites to do the same
Use of Academy-provided Devices (e.g. Chromebooks)
The academy provides devices to specific groups of students to support their school-based activities.
By accepting the loan of the device you…
Understand the device may be monitored on and off site.
Understand the device is supplied to you for work-related use only, and is not for anyone else to use.
Agree to only use the device for lawful and work-related purposes only.
Agree to bring the device with you each working day in a charged and work-ready condition.
Agree to our technical team physically inspecting the device without notice.
Agree to never install any app, plugin or extension to attempt to disable or bypass the academy’s monitoring or filtering systems.
Agree to take due care of the devices and accessories to prevent damage by:
Keeping the device clean
Using protective devices / cases correctly
Taking care to leave any unattended devices in a secure location
Agree to password-lock any device that is left unattended
Agree to store the Chromebook safely when not in use e.g. at lunchtimes store in your locker.